Thursday, October 25, 2012

Life is Busy in Quilt Season!

Once again, I'm sadly neglecting my blog.
Last week found me in North Bay with the lovely quilters of the Near North Quilters Guild and many visitors from the surrounding areas.
The guild invited me to present three lectures on my first day there.  That is the first time that I've done three lectures back to back.  Most of the people in the audience stayed for all three lectures.  They were a wonderful audience and asked really good questions.  By the third lecture it was more of a conversation than a lecture which was just so much fun.
The next day we did the Log Cabin Chevron workshop.  We spent a great deal of time working with fabric values in colour families.  The variety of fabric in the room was truly amazing.  Good shoppers!
My "close personal friend" drove all the way from Sudbury to take the workshop.  It was wonderful to spend the day with her.  (She's the one wearing black.)  She and I along with two other crazy quilters went on an epic road trip a couple of years ago visiting 17 quilt shops in 4 days.
Mallory and Deanne took all three workshops and ended up being my favourites........there's a story there that includes bribing the teacher with chocolate.
Day two we had the Angles and Squares workshop with 21 students in attendance.  It was a very busy day for everyone learning about the 4 recipes for scrap quilts as well as technique and many time saving tips.

On the final day I taught the Cobblestones quilt.  What a great bunch of quilters!
Unfortunately, I have a reminder of my visit to North Bay in the form of this:

Yes, I got rear ended by a young lady who wasn't paying attention.  I was stopped behind two other vehicles at a red light and she drove right into the back of my car.  Luckily, I had left some distance between my car and the truck ahead of me so I wasn't pushed into that vehicle.  So.....I now know what the North Bay police station looks like!  Her car was much more damaged than mine so I was able to drive home with no trouble.  With all the time I spend travelling, it's amazing that it hasn't happened sooner.  The poor girl cried from the minute she got out of the car and was still crying as we drove away from the police reporting centre.

Other than that, it was a fantastic visit with the quilters of North Bay.  Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make it all happen.  The soups at lunch were delicious!  Special thanks to Gord and Wendy who allowed me to stay with them for six nights.  It was a pleasure getting to know you all!

Work on the angel quilt has been at a stand still with all my travelling, teaching and packing.  Here's the progress this week.


Work on the new house continues at a rapid rate.  I was able to visit the work site on Monday morning as they were just constructing the framing for the main floor.  The basement rooms are all framed in.
Tuesday I spent making final choices for all the flooring.
I'll be leaving before dawn tomorrow morning to head up to Fort McMurray, Alberta to teach some workshops and share some lectures.  My annual visit!  I can't wait to catch up with everyone.  The temperature here to day will reach 23C.  I'm thinking that weather probably won't follow me to the far north.........

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a very fun and productive week, despite your fender bender. Hopefully there were still a few leaves with some colour on them so that you could enjoy the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Angles and Squares top is almost completed (minus an outer border) and you can see it here:

    http://www.appliqueandpatches.blogspot.ca/2012/11/blog-break-and-miss-hank.html

    You did ask us to be creative with the layout and I hope that my top meets that criteria.

    I learned a lot from you and have adapted most (you know me and my pinning) of your tips.

    My log cabin will get tackled in the new year. That block was a definite challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather...
    I have finished all three tops. With life so busy that is as far as they have gotten. This year I am very busy with program for the guild so my quilting has suffered. My close friend saw my tops and fell in love with the cobblestone that I did in batiks and she bought it from me. The price almost covered all my classes. It was a fun few days. Glad you have a good sense of humor too!

    ReplyDelete